Over the last seven months, the Government’s priority has been to stem the damage necessarily inflicted upon ourselves because of … Continued
Manager - Audit and Assurance Services
t +61 8 8981 5585
m +61 402 642 283
Michael is a Manager within the Audit and Assurance division of the firm.
Michael has more than 13 years’ experience in providing assurance and advisory services to clients that include ASX listed and public companies, State/Territory Governments operating in South Australia and the Northern Territory, Local government across South Australia and Northern Territory, Registered organisations, Aboriginal Corporations, charities and other not-for-profits across a broad range of sectors that include: the arts, community services, education and training, energy and utilities, financial services, health and aged care, manufacturing, mining and exploration, motor vehicle dealerships, professional services, retail and wholesale, sport and recreation and tourism and hospitality sectors.
Michael is a member of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand. Michael also has a Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing) and Certificate of Market Research from the University of Adelaide and a Graduate Diploma of Management from the Australian Institute of Management.
He is also proficient in Mandarin Chinese having studied the language throughout high school, at Beijing Intercultural Studies University and at the University of Adelaide.
Financial statement audits
Michael has a significant amount of experience in auditing general purpose, general purpose (reduced disclosure) and special purpose financial reports of entities reporting under the Corporations Act 2001, Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait) Islander Act 2006, Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission 2012, Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009, Associations Act (NT) 2003, Associations Incorporation Act (SA) 1985, Local Government Act (NT) 2008 and Local Government Act (SA) 1999.
Other assurance engagements
Michael is currently an Authorised Auditor (Manager) for the Northern Territory Auditor-General where he manages and performs key aspects of engagements that include compliance audits, end of year reviews, financial statement audits and performance management system (PMS) audits. PMS audits performed have included a review of contract management processes, an evaluation of an internal audit function and an assessment of measures and targets and the way in which they are established, monitored, reported and used to evaluate performance.
Michael has also been an authorised examiner for the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations where he has performed examinations of Aboriginal Corporations. Examinations focused on compliance with the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 in the areas of governance and financial management.
Michael has also been involved in a number of Investigating Accountant’s Reports for a number of Chinese manufacturers for prospective listing on the ASX.
Internal audits and advisory
Michael has extensive experience in the provision of internal audit and other advisory services that have included:
- NT Department of Primary Industry and Resources: Performance of an internal audit to assess the adequacy and effectiveness of processes to manage the Agency’s Mining Remediation Fund and an internal audit to examine the adequacy of grant management processes.
- NT Department of Treasury and Finance: An internal audit to examine Gallagher Bassett’s compliance with obligations in the Return to Work Claims Management Agreement and Return to Work Act 1986.
- NT Territory Families: An internal audit to examine the processes and systems in relation to the initiation, approval, recording and reporting of overtime worked at youth justice operations.
- Jacana Energy: The co-development of a three year strategic internal audit plan (aligned to the Corporation’s strategic risk register) and the execution of that plan which included internal audits of the Corporation’s end-to-end processes related to financial accounting, billing and customer management, and compliance with retail licence obligations.
- Power Water Corporation: Provision of assistance and advice with respect to the accounting treatment and financial statement disclosure of asset valuations as the Corporation underwent structural separation.
- Airport Development Group: A review of the Group’s processes to comply with FBT and payroll tax obligations.
- NT Office of the Commissioner for Public Employment: Performed an extensive review of the annual State of the Service report, which included reviewing the extent of compliance with legislative requirements, identifying possible opportunities to improve the overall content and presentation of the report to suit the needs of users and assessing current processes that supported the report’s development for efficiency and effectiveness.
Prior to moving to the Territory, Michael was the principal internal auditor for Cavpower (Caterpillar dealership). In this role he was responsible for establishing the internal audit function and familiarising management and staff with internal audit and its purpose, authority, roles and responsibilities. Internal audits performed had a strong emphasis on fraud mitigation and performance improvement and included end-to-end processes related to procure-to-pay, credit cards, payroll and HR, stock management, work order management, property management, equipment sales and rental operations.
Michael has solid experience as a board member for a number of not-for-profit entities in South Australia and Northern Territory where he has provided advice and support in the areas of governance, risk, budgets, financial management and strategic planning.
He is currently a member of the Northern Territory Chartered Accountants panel where he is responsible for representing member views on a range of pertinent issues.